Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Traveling Museum

I have a new job working with the Alzheimer's Association here in Cville. I am sent to different Memory Care facilities to play for residents.   For this agency, we are trained to be more hands on interactive and work to get the residents engaged with the music activity.  They have lots of art prints on hand to bring to show people and so I did what I call a "traveling museum" visit. Since they cannot get out to a museum, I bring it to them!

I brought with me some prints of famous paintings like the Norman Rockwell painting pictured above. I showed them the painting and then we shared stories of baseball games we attended of family members, food we like to eat at baseball games (hot dogs ;), songs sung at games (National Anthem). Then of course we sang, "Take me out to the Ballgame".

After a few art and music combinations, I handed out percussion instruments for them to play along with me on some uptempo songs like, "When the Saints Go Marching In," "This Little Light of Mine", and we went for over an hour.

This time I drove to a place in Greene county. I am really enjoying traveling around more and getting to spend some time seeing more of the countryside in various surrounding counties.
I love the variety and diversity of the work I am doing. Great times!

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment