Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Glad to not be "normal"


Last night I was talking to a friend about where we find ourselves in our lives now.  I can remember times when I was younger, how I wished I could be "normal". I know, "what is normal"? well there is no normal anymore.. I don't think.  I guess whatever we are not, we sometimes think we should be.

As a child, I went through a period of standing out for various reasons (new kid in town, academically ill prepared, dressed funky when funky was not "in", etc). Secretly, I wanted to be just like others but I didn't know how to do that. (they were "normal")

Today I sang with a group at a club house where people with mental health issues hang out.  How I love their refreshing world views and delightfully eccentric ways. What I love about them is that some of them appear to be rough and tough on the outside --a person you might not want to pass walking alone on a dark street. But when they sing they are so gentle and sweet. Even a tear comes to their eyes at times.  You see how music can do this to people?

I got lots of hugs today too. I love where my life takes me now--in club houses for people who don't fit in other places. I am finding a sense of belonging with them. Growing up, I never felt I "fit in" but it's great to be with group where none of us fit into any mold or convention. We are our own unique selves. Our singing unites us with common memories of songs from the soundtrack of our lives.

No, I am not missing anything from a life I thought I should have had. I am glad I am not normal!
(above picture is from singing at Mary Williams yesterday)

Also the good part about my early years when I did not "fit in", that is when I found music --or it found me. And that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment