Friday, December 7, 2012

Goosebumps & grey days






Sometimes a grey day makes the simple things stand out all the more.  The nursing home where I played today is out near Madison county (pictured above is a photo of the view from their yard). I have craved a quiet place amidst the hustle and bustle of the holiday season upon us.

I had the day to myself, so when I started singing, it was the first time I heard my voice out loud today. I sing with a microphone here and this is something most homes don't have. Usually it is noisy and chaotic with many distractions to overcome.

As I sang, a few times I got the goosebumps. I love it when that happens! To me that says, magic is afloat. I am not claiming that it comes solely from me--it is about all that is taking place in that moment. Something about the quality of presence of everyone in the room. The alchemy of spirit the music brings that transports me.

The goosebumps came during some Christmas songs. Some of those melodies are haunting, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear", "O Come all Ye Faithful."
The whole time I was singing above the smiling faces and singers among me I could see out the window the view pictured above.
Such peace.. I needed it, don't we all? I  will look at this picture when I feel stressed and remember there are quiet places and places where I shared music.

No comments:

Post a Comment