Sunday, June 16, 2013

Challenge into Change Celebration


I entered an essay contest this past spring with The Women's Initiative  in Charlottesville.  Yesterday was the celebration of the winning entries. My essay, "Skydiving: A Quantum Leap Within"  received an Honorable Mention. It tells the story of my journey of overcoming hearing loss to becoming a professional musician. There were 9 finalists in all and each of us got to read our essays. It was quite an honor to be part of the event and it was such a nice celebration. Each of us got a cash prize and some gifts (pretty journals, pens, gift bag).

I believe that everyone has important stories to tell. We have all overcome insurmountable challenges.  I have seen so many of us gain strength from challenges, we come through to the other side seeing ourselves anew.  I loved hearing the other stories read yesterday. It was so inspiring.

Here is a quote from my essay:
"For my 50th birthday, I wanted to go skydiving to ring in the next phase of my life. Instead, I got a cochlear implant. Little did I know how much this journey to hear again would be much like skydiving.   I took a risk and found my wings to fly above the obstacles that once held me back. Because of this, I found new heights I never knew were there. "

It is true that it is not what happens to us, it is what we do with what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment