Sunday, June 23, 2013

Skill vs Talent

Yesterday I worked at the hospital playing therapeutic guitar  music for patients in ICU. It is work I love to do. Several people commented on how soothing the music was. Then when I was finishing up on an ICU floor, a man approached me and said, "thank you for playing, it is nice to have a skill you can use like that. " 

I liked that he called it a skill. So many people it seems view music as a talent which implies to me a supernatural, God given gift that few have. I don't agree with this view. To me, it is a skill that is developed over years of hard work. At least, that is what it has been for me.

Consider the dictionary's definitions of the terms:
Skill Noun
    1.    The ability to do something well; expertise.
    2.    A particular ability.

Talent
1. A marked innate ability, as for artistic accomplishment.
2. Natural endowment or ability of a superior quality.
 I love that I have found a way to use my skills as a musician in a variety of ways that engage me on mental, physical, emotional and spiritual levels.  I'll close by sharing another favorite thing i've found about music--why teach music:


Amen! :)

2 comments:

  1. And music is a gift you can give to people...thanks for your gifts. It so wonderful that you can share in this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Katherine, yes music is indeed a gift and so is writing. Thank you for your gift of writing. I look forward to reading your blog and your new book(s) in the future!

    ReplyDelete