Monday, June 10, 2013

"If music be the food of love, play on"


I think of music like a food that nourishes our body, soul and spirit. It is like vitamins for the heart to open. An elixir of a magical potion that helps you to see the beauty in life. 

For me each place I play has a different and need to address. At the hospital, I play very simple music as if the music were a meal easy to digest. A "chicken soup of the soul" as it is said.

Playing at the Mennonite home in Madison county last week made me feel like the music was a a hardy meal full of goodness and kindness.  It is a place where I play more hymns and songs about peace and brotherhood. Songs like, "Let there be Peace on Earth",  "All night, All day (angels watching over me)", "Morning Has Broken". There is something about singing these songs that fill me with their kind messages that leaves me feeling a bit high. A natural high, that is.

Then playing the guitar at the gym last week, I saw it made  hurried people stop and listen. How the music made them present to the moment and tuned into what is most important in life. In a world filled with super busy people, we lose sight of the beauty and peace that being in nature or listening to music can bring to us.

I am thankful to have these places, people and opportunities to share music as a food that nourishes us all on many levels. It is quite a tasty experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment