Thursday, June 20, 2013

Today makes tomorrow


Over the years I have learned to speak Alzheimer's, or at least to be able to have conversations that do not lead to frustration. In my early attempts to talk with someone with this disease, I made the mistake of trying to understand them in a logical way. I since have learned that many times they do not make logical sense but if I listened to the sentiment behind their words, I could have a meaningful exchange with them.

Last night was an example of improvising with this non-linear language at the nursing home where I play each Wednesday evening.  There is Darlene, who always seems to talk in codes as if she and I share a secret that I haven't been told. "It is time now for--you know what I mean. Am I right?" she says while smiling with an air of conspiracy.  "Well, you usually are right about that kind of thing." I say, hoping that is the right answer.  Darlene nods and continues down the hallway in her wheelchair.

When I told Marion I was glad she moved there as I enjoyed seeing her company, she said, "oh I am not really here. I need to tell you that I won't be here tomorrow. Today makes tomorrow."  I said, "Oh ok,  well then if you are still here I will see you next time."

In between these snippets of conversation we sang songs, "Billy Boy", "I'll Fly Away," Battle Hymn of the Republic (practice for 4th of July), "Down by the Riverside", "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot".
It is a moment by moment exchange and when I leave them, they reach for my hand and thank me for coming by.
I sure enjoy them and I never know what each time will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment