Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Technology & Going Global


I am a folky at heart and love acoustic music. But I also enjoy technology in its many forms as it allows me to reach out to people from all over the world.  Today I bought a notation software program which will allow me to write down my compositions into music to share with others. I have always read music but most of the time when I compose music--it is in my head and not on paper. Having this program will allow me to possibly make a book of my pieces to share with others.


Years ago I used to email with a guitar composer and teacher all the way in Uruguay. We sent each other sheet music, cassette tapes and books to learn from. Back when I started out learning music (1973) there was no internet, no YouTube, no sheet music software, etc. I love how my world has opened up!

Today I worked on a collaboration with a friend who lives in Seattle. He had sent me a score with exotic chords on it about 3 years ago and I never did anything with it. Recently, we reconnected about this and today I wrote some music based on the chords he sent. I wrote in only one line and sent it back to him so he can write in the next line. It is great fun!

I also like to stay on top of the computer programs that do various musical things for when I work with teens.   Many kids these days do not write with pens and paper but on the computer. Writing a song to them would be on Garageband or a program like that.


What are some ways technology has expanded your world?

No comments:

Post a Comment