Sunday, July 14, 2013

Beauty is everywhere



I went hiking at Ivy Creek Foundation  yesterday and came upon some interesting mold formations that looked like flowers.  I also saw some bright orange mushrooms out there but I regret I didn't take a picture. (will do next visit!) 

So what does this have to do with music? To me, it is a metaphor in finding beauty all around us. Even a clump of fungus can be beautiful if we see it that way. 

It's the same with music. Not all songs I sing with others at the nursing homes are the most earth shattering gems you hear in concert halls. But that is what makes it beautiful for me when I sing with others . The unpolished, unadorned, muddy shoes, earthy old folk songs.  The beauty is how our  voices blend and create music out of simple melodies.   Some voices more like flowers, others (like mine :) more like mold--they are real and true and even mold can be beautiful.
Don't let anyone ever tell you that you can't sing. It is not true. We need the weeds as well as the leaves, the roots as well as the branches, the flowers as much as the fungus. Beauty is everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment