Thursday, July 25, 2013

World music at the local club house



Years ago I studied tabla drums in Chicago which are commonly played in Indian music. Once my teacher asked me to play my guitar in a concert in a style like that of the Tambura  (pictured above in the far right corner) which is an instrument  is used to play a drone,  an essential part of Indian music.  It turns out these studies came in handy yesterday at the  Club House where I play.

One woman at the club house  is from India and when I went over to her with my guitar, she began to sing in Hindi.  I remembered the way I played my guitar that night in Chicago in the Hindi band and I started playing like that to accompany her singing. I thought we sounded pretty good!  It is great when two cultures can blend like that.

Another fun moment came when I was outside with the group when someone asked for that song by America, "A Horse with No Name". I started making up songs about the club house and our day and we all laughed.

"I been to the club house they call the Blue Ridge
it felt good to be out of the sun
at the club house, you don't need to know names
cause everybody knows everyone..

La la la la la la..."

Do you remember the song?

Some places I just never know what will happen when I take my guitar out.

No comments:

Post a Comment