Saturday, July 6, 2013

Glory Glory Hallelujah


Just look at that beautiful view of the mountains.  This alone can  tell you why I leave extra early to get to this nursing home where I play each month. Located in rural Madison county, it is a balm for the soul to be there.  Not only the beauty of the area but also the people at the home, run by Mennonites, are so full of kindness I leave feeling inspired. Yesterday was no exception. All this plus there is the monthly pilgrimage to Yoder's Country Market that has a lama farm on the premises. The full lot of cars in the parking lot tells me it is a popular spot for many. I stock up on their broccoli & cauliflower cole slaw and BBQ that lasts me for some days after. Singing at the home I always stand in the middle of a big circle  while the residents sing and relax and sometimes doze.

From there, I went to my other favorite place in Gordonsville Two favorite places in one day.  When I arrived, one of my favorite friends from the home stood up to greet me. "Oh, look who it is!  she said, "It has been such a long time!" and as I walked over to see her, she took both of my hands in hers and said, "You are just so radiant! you never age, you are so filled with vitality!"  I smiled and said, "well, I try."

Then I went to talk to Mr. Larsen who I know is a WWII veteran and loves to sing patriotic songs.  The day before, being the 4th of July, I asked him what songs he sang for it and I started to sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic:
"Glory glory hallelujah
Glory glory hallelujah
Glory glory hallelujah
His truth is marching on."
He joined in and then I told him that the other day, I noticed someone sang, "His troops are marching on"  and he said "No --it's "The Truth is marching on!" and I said, "Yes it is 'truth' not 'troops'--that is what makes it such a great song." He nodded in agreement. However,  in my case, I sing, "His Truth" but he sings, "The Truth". That gives it a different meaning.  I am always learning new things from these people.

Which do you sing?

No comments:

Post a Comment