Monday, July 8, 2013

Blackbird, bye bye


Today I sang out at a senior home that is still pretty new and the personnel has changed so many times that I am still learning my way around there.  I have sung there a few times before, so some of the residents look familiar but they have been pretty shy in terms of response to me until today.

Sometimes a new group takes some time to warm up to me.  They look at me for the first few songs as if to be sizing me up and I think that is fair. In a place where so many have come and gone, I can understand their hesitancy to sing with me. I think singing is a very personal thing too and many are shy in public to do it.

So is it a great moment when I  choose a song that brings a smile of recognition and eyes alight. That song was "Bye, Bye Blackbird." It is a song I don't sing a lot but I will from now on. Check out the lyrics below. I think the lyrics speak of finding your way in a new group, "no one here can love or understand me" At least for me that is a line that stands out.

From there I sang other songs that were also well received "Sentimental Journey", "I'm Looking over a Four Leaf Clover', " Five Foot Two".  When I finished playing, many told me it was "tremendous", "wonderful" and their applause and smiles made me see the music had won them over. 

Sometimes I wonder, when I am their age, what will the song(s) be for me that will make me smile?

How about for you? what song would make you smile?


Bye, Bye Blackbird

Pack up all my care and woe
Here I go, singing low
Bye bye blackbird

Where somebody waits for me
Sugar's sweet, so is he
Bye bye blackbird

No one here can love or understand me
Oh, what hard luck stories they all hand me
Make my bed and light the light

I'll arrive late tonight
Blackbird, bye bye

No comments:

Post a Comment