Thursday, August 1, 2013

Snapshots from a week of music


Something I love about my work is the diversity of people, places and experiences I have each week. It is like knowing lots of different languages and visiting different countries every day. Each place has its own customs and ways and with music being the "universal language," I can choose songs that fit the mood and occasion.

Monday night found me at the Monroe room at the Colonnades where I gave a concert for a group of seniors. In addition to some popular sing along numbers, I especially enjoyed playing some old show-tunes like, "Singing in the Rain," "It had to be You," "Ain't Misbehavin'".

Tuesday I stopped by The ARC on Park St and sang with some of the folks there. The picture above is something the participants made. Our favorite song is, "If You're Happy and You Know it". That night I was invited to join in on a jam session with some friends in the area.  I especially liked playing my drum along with them on old rock songs I loved in high school from bands like Cream, Ten Years After and Jimi Hendrix Experience. I was also surprised when I broke into that old drum solo, "Wipe Out" that the guys knew the bass and guitar part of the song!

Wednesday I played for patients in ICU at the hospital. In one patients' room the TV was on to flowing images of the ocean waves and the sky. I improvised on my guitar to accompany these peaceful scenes as she slept and rested to the melodies.

Later then that night, I played at the nursing home in the hallway as a strolling minstrel as I do each week. With some I sing a favorite song, with others I play my guitar to sooth their agitation, and others we make even make up something of our own.

Yesterday as I was leaving the hospital, I ran into an acquaintance in the elevator who asked me where else I played and after telling her, she said, "you have  a good job." Indeed I do!

P.S. the week is not over yet--for I still have a few more places to stop in and sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment