Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Old friend and harmonica

What is it about the harmonica that gives off that lonesome, sad sound? I mean that in a good way. Today I went by a senior home I play for regularly and was surprised to see an old friend now living there. Seven years have passed since I saw her last. She was sitting out back on the patio with a few other residents when I approached with my guitar. Debbie smiled and it took me a few seconds before it registered who it was. I was glad to see her  too.

I told them all I brought my guitar and we could sing. Then Debbie reached in her backpack and pulled out an old harmonica. I regret I didn't take a picture of it but it was bent up like the one in the photo above. I chose songs to play that she could play along with and we had a good time together.

All the while this was going on, behind us was a man loading a big pickup truck. Finally, Connie asked the man, "Is someone moving?"   The man walked up to us and said, "Yes, Charlie is coming to live with me out in Orange county."  He described then his farm and many animals of horses, cows, chickens and pot belly pigs. Then he went back to packing the truck.  A little while later Charlie came outside near the truck and Connie called out and said, "Bye Charlie--write to us!" but Charlie just looked ahead at the truck as if he didn't hear her. It put a bittersweet spin on the afternoon but that is just life for you. I see a lot of transition in those homes. New folks moving in or out or passing on. I was glad to see Debbie again at least.




No comments:

Post a Comment