Friday, August 23, 2013

What two quarters can't buy


Yesterday again I was tired from lack of sleep. A minor neck injury has prevented me from having good sleep. So I was really looking forward to going to sing with my favorite group (ok I say this about every group!) because I knew that would make me feel better. When I arrived,  Tom was sitting by the door in his wheelchair and I asked him if he was going to come sing with us. He smiled in his mischievous way and said, "I wouldn't miss it for all the world."   I said, "good, we kinda need you." This is because Tom is my sound effects person. When I sing about a dog, he barks all through the song. When I sing about a train, he hoots like a train and so on.

Today though he had another idea and took me over to the other room to tell me about it. He had on a yellow polka dotted tie and a grey vest. As he was talking to me, he reached under his tie and pulled out a yellow plastic polka dotted egg.  He smiled slyly, conveying to me his idea without words. I said, "Yes! let's trick everyone. I'll play a song on my guitar and you can do a magic trick for them."   So we did just that and everyone seemed to get a kick out of it. He is part of the show there. I was having so much fun I forgot all about being tired. They all lifted me right up and it was great to sing and laugh with all of them.

When it was time to go, one of the ladies reached in her coin purse and got out some change. She came up to me and slipped two quarters in my hand. She said, "It's not much but I want you to have it" as she hugged me. I told her she didn't need to do that but  I could see she really wanted to give me something.  There was a time 50 cents could buy a cup of coffee or a soda. Now it may pay an hour in a parking meter. But it can't buy the good times I had with them and the appreciation I feel.

Oh also I got some flowers this week --pictured above. I was helping out at a group home and the folks there gave me them to thank me. Life is rich indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment