Saturday, September 21, 2013

A page from my music journal

I used to be very faithful about keeping a journal of my experiences at the hospital and other gigs. Since I started this blog, I haven't done that too much.  So today I got out my ongoing journal since about 2008 and added the following. Please note that since this is an account from the hospital, I have to be very vague about exactly which unit I am in or what the patient is diagnosed with, etc. I cannot give any signs away about who I am working with as it is a violation to their privacy. This is also why at times you may not hear from me. But thought you might enjoy a page out of my diary from the hospital:


Today just as I arrived on the PICU (Pediatrics ICU) floor, there was a “call to station" announcement of a fire on the 6th floor.  This means that everyone on the floor stated and the floors above and below have to close all the doors and wait for the next “call to station” stating that the fire is contained.  (sometimes there is not really a fire but it is only a drill) Today there appeared to be something wrong with the alarm as it kept going off continuously for about 20 minutes. I waited in the PICU for the alarm to go off so that I could play (can’t really play when all doors are closed and no one can receive visitors). When the alarm didn’t stop, I went down to the 4th floor in one of the ICUs and played there. They gave me a couple of rooms to play near (they were in isolation, so I had to play outside their door for infectious control reasons).

Then I went up to the 8th floor to check in on a fellow I met last week who was due to go home tomorrow. He had visitors in his room, so I didn’t stay long but it was good to see that he was in good spirits and as I knew he didn’t live nearby, I was happy to see friends made the effort to visit him.

Next I went to the 6th floor (the alarm finally stopped) and there was a man sitting in a chair near the nursing station. Sometimes this is done because the patient is a “fall risk” as they try to get out of bed when they lack the strength to stand, etc.  The charge nurse asked me to sit next to him and play awhile, which I did.  I started by playing some instrumental pieces that were my own compositions. He closed his eyes and hummed along and seemed to enjoy it. Later, I asked him what kind of music he liked. “Country” –this is often the answer I get there as a lot of the patients are from rural areas. I started to strum a country waltz-like progression and again he nodded and hummed. I asked him if he liked Johnny Cash and when the answer was “yes”, I strummed the chords to, “I Walk the Line”. I hummed the melody of the verse and the man joined me singing together on the part, “I walk the line.” Then I asked him if he liked Elvis. A big yes on that one and he told me he saw Elvis in concert with his family. That seemed to bring up a positive memory. 

I had 20 more minutes left of my shift and went down and played in the ER. I used to play there every week but since my hours were cut, I don't play there very often. It was somewhat quiet there which I think was a good thing. (meaning not too many in need of emergency services)
A very enjoyable day it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment