Monday, September 16, 2013

Play me one of your songs



Today I was singing with a group of folks with autism and special needs. They are a fun bunch of people to hang out with and sing.  We like to sing songs spanning all genres of music from bluegrass, country, swing, motown, pop, folk.

Toward the end of our time together, I was going through my song binder when Thomas asked, "Do you have your own songs in that book?   Will you play one of your songs?"  He had seen me sing at a coffeehouse this past spring and remembered that.

So I played, "Choose the Sky". As I sang,  I saw Thomas listening with intense concentration as if he were studying the song. When I finished, I was curious how he would sum up my song and I asked, "Do you know what it is about?" and he said, "Yes, I was thinking about the sky in Memphis and Georgia and New York and the clouds and stars and the sun." I said, "Yes and imagine that it is the same sky everywhere. Tomorrow when the full moon comes, my friend in Italy will see that same moon."

Then we talked about viewing the stars through telescopes and we all agreed that Saturn was the coolest planet to see with its true look of outer space rings around it.

As I left, Thomas thanked me for sharing my song.

In all the years and groups i've played for, no one has ever asked me to play my own song. Thank you, Thomas!

Above is a link to a video of my song that features photographs of the sky from friends and some of my own. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment