Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Que Sera, Sera

Do you remember this song from the Doris Day TV song? "Que sera, sera whatever will be, will be." It is a song that gets one of the biggest reactions when I play for seniors. There are smiles throughout as we sing it but also tears. I have a vague memory of the Doris Day show and this song but it was not really a part of my life (the song was popular before I was born in '56) I am thinking some of the seniors in the audience were mothers and fathers who answered their children's questions with this refrain in the song.

At any rate, that was the case yesterday as one woman was crying as she sang the song. But they seemed to be tears of recognition --not so much grief. This woman I speak of is maybe one of the most responsive of all of the seniors I play for. Each time I break into a new song,  her eyes light up, she smiles,  or has a look of surprise and delight.   She is in a group that is mostly unresponsive too. I wondered how that is for her. The rest sit there looking at me and there is no way to tell if they know the song or like the song or not. But this woman --there is not doubt she is loving every song wholeheartedly.

After the music session was finished for the day, she came up to me and said, "I just have to tell you I loved your songs! You made my day--no you made my week! I love music!" I told her I could see that she loved music and asked her if she used to sing in a choir or something. It turns out she used to play the piano but no longer can. I said I had thought of the day when I may not be able to play my guitar. I said, "but I'd still sing!" and she smiled and agreed.

As I left I was thinking of that woman who loved music so much and thought --that will be me one day--the one singing every song, the one who doesn't care if anyone else sings along, the one who will always love music more than anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment