Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Hound Dog


School is in and with that means new students and people to meet and sing with.  In my work with VSA Arts (part of Charlottesville Therapeutic Parks & Recreation) I sing with groups of young adults with special needs. Today was with Post High and that was fun.  A few of favorite moments were:

After we sang, "This Little Light of Mine" I asked the kids what kind of song it was.   When no one spoke up, I started singing examples of what it was not. The funniest one was my attempt at a rap version, then I strummed my guitar sang it like a country song. Then I did a blues version. In the end, they learned the song is a Gospel song.

There is one boy who loves to dance and he danced to many of the songs.  I was running out of ideas of danceable songs when I thought of Elvis' "Hound Dog". No sooner did I start singing that not only did he dance but a few others got up and danced too. They twirled around and did some dosey doe's  and after the song ran out I kept playing the chord progression and improvised some nonsensical words while they danced.

By the way "Hound Dog" was originally recorded by Big Mama Thornton in 1952 and it is now listed as one of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 songs that shaped rock and roll. I find it amazing young kids know the song. Or even if they don't, they get into the feeling of it.

I also brought my Native American flute and had them tap out a heart beat rhythm to accompany me. Then I taught them a Native American lullaby, "Hey Hey Watanee" and one boy sang it as if he already knew it. When I asked him if he had known it before, he told me he didn't. 

You just never know what you'll see from these kids. It was a lot of fun and certainly made my day.





No comments:

Post a Comment