Friday, December 13, 2013

The Christmas Spirit is here

Q: Why is Santa so good at Karate?
A: Because he has a black belt

Q: Why does Santa have 3 gardens?
A: So he can Ho Ho Ho.

Mrs. Claus looked up at the sky one evening and said,  "Looks like rain, dear."

Q: Where do reindeer vote?
A: The North Pole

~~
These are a few Christmas jokes I've been telling at the nursing homes and they always get a big laugh. This week I've had a few really good holiday sing alongs. Everyone seems to love Christmas music.   What I love most is how not just the residents sing but also other people working nearby come and join in.

The other day I was at Heritage Inn singing with a group and one of the women who was cleaning put down her broom and began dancing and singing along with, "Feliz Navidad."   Everyone was delighted with her spontaneous  show of holiday spirit and it was contagious. Those who were not singing were laughing and clapping along.

Then the other night it was the same kind of thing. I was singing in the hallway to the residents as I do each Wednesday night as they get ready for bed.   One of the nurses came and sang harmony on several of the songs, "O Come all Ye Faithful", "Hark the Herald Angels Sing", "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."  Even one of the office workers who worked late that night came and sang. I wished I had a picture of the occasion.

I love how Christmas music can bring out this kind of spirit. To me music brings the Christmas spirit every day and that is what I try to do.  "Christmas is not just one day," an elderly neighbor was fond of saying.  That is true.

Do you feel the Christmas spirit? What gets you there?

Here is a link to some Christmas Carols sung with my friend Mary Gordon Hall. They are our "Mixed up Carols Medley" where we sing one song to the tune of another. You'll just have to listen to understand! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment