Thursday, February 14, 2013

An unexpected gift


Today I was walking out of the library and on the way to my car when a man was coming in to the library and said, "is that Blue?"   I stopped as he came closer.  He walked with a cane and as he approached he said, "I think of you every day!" By this time I recognized him as the man I met last summer at a concert I did at the Mudhouse and I gave him my CD.

We moved to the sidewalk to talk and he proceeded to tell me how much my music meant to him.    He said that he never forgot how I gave him my CD and that he doesn't keep it with other CDs, but he keeps it in a special place to listen to it when he needs to. Then he told me some details about some of the struggles he was seeing in his life and how listening to my songs help him.

He said that he was so moved by that fact that  I had given him, a stranger, my CD.  As he spoke, I saw a tear streaming down his face and I was struck by what a gift it was for me to hear how much my music meant to him.  Recently I have wondered at times if what I do goes unnoticed or if I am destined to never fulfill my dream of moving people with my music.

He went on to say that if he had been just 5 minutes later, we would never have chanced to meet in the street outside the library. I said, "coincidence is God preferring to remain anonymous"--something  I've heard said. He told me he had never heard that.

We agreed to keep in touch by email. I felt so full in my heart to have heard how much our meeting last summer has impacted on his life.

Which brings  me  to say for all of us, sometimes we just do not know how much our life and our contributions have helped others. It is rare that we have the opportunity like I did today to hear about it.

S.____ if you are reading this, thank you so much too! You have given me an incredible gift to affirm that I am doing what I am meant to be doing in the world! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment