Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Where would you like your light to shine?


Such a good time today! In the picture above we were singing the song, "This Little Light of Mine" and each of us said where we would like our light to shine. We sang for the light to shine in our home, our heart, all day long, at the hospital, in our job, in music class."   The red and orange tubes you see them playing in the picture are Boomwhackers. They are tuned percussion instruments that make a musical note when they are struck. I had these for a long time but took them out today and they were a real hit (no pun intended) as you can see!

One of the teachers surprised me with a song he wrote the, "Blue O'Connell Blues".  It went something like:

"I've got the Blue O'Connell blues
I've got the Blue O'Connell blues
and I've got nothing left to lose
yeah I've got the Blue O'Connell blues."

Ha ha! What a thing to hear--a song about me! We riffed on that for awhile and he said he would finish the song. If you have any further lyrics, let me know! :) 

This was a group from Post High and before that, I was singing with the Mary Williams group (seniors at JABA) in the same building of the Jefferson City School Center. It has recently opened and has all kinds of really cool things going on. The group in Mary Williams today was great too. We sang some Valentine's songs, "Let me Call you Sweetheart", "Bicycle Built for Two", "Can't Help Falling in Love with You", "As Time Goes By". 

Quite often when I arrive to sing with a group, though I have my list ready, I really have no idea how things will go or what will happen. Much depends on the group dynamic and making room for spontaneous expression. I am always richly rewarded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment