Thursday, February 21, 2013

You've Got a Friend

Today I sang with a group of adults with intellectual disabilities (autism, etc) They are such a sweet group but sometimes they can be a real handful! But it is always worth it. I'd say today was one of my favorite times with them.  We sat closer together and sang some silly songs like, "The Addams Family", "Flintstones", "Gilligans' Island" TV theme songs. But we really bonded during other songs like, "Stand by me", "Lean on me", "I'll be There", "Happy Together" and yes, "You've Got a Friend". This last song stood out because when I started to sing it two of the girls in the group came up and put their arm around me and we sang it together as a trio. I wanted to say, "take our picture!!" but you just have to imagine the goosebumps and good feelings that we put out there through one of my favorite songs.

I always come away from them feeling so awed by their incredible spirit for life. What would life be like if we could always stay in the magical, imaginative space we dwelt in as a child? So many times that sense of creative imagination halts when other responsibilities come up. But as the saying goes, "we don't stop playing because we grow old,  we grow old because we stop playing."
What a gift for me to be reminded of this every time I sing with them!
Thank you!

So how about you, have you been silly, have you played today?

P. S. I wanted to say hello to new folks who may be reading my blog for the first time sent here from my favorite blog by Katherine Jenkins "Lessons from the Monk I married."
Following her example, I'd like to do a giveaway of my CD, "Choose the Sky" that was five years in the making! This is because I had to stop the recording midway through the process and get cochlear implant surgery. It was a quite a journey but worth it!  You can read about it all on my website:
blueoconnell.com

If you are interested in a receiving a free copy of my CD--all you have to do is comment below and join in my blog by following me! I'd love to have you aboard!

11 comments:

  1. I'm writing 365 Inspirations, and your blog is my inspiration for today. I wrote about it over on my blog. You can check it out here;

    http://lessonsfromthemonkimarried.blogspot.com/2013/02/365-inspirations52-new-blog-discovery.html

    Thank You for doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katherine,

    Thank you so very much for your the kindness of writing about my blog today. I am so very touched for your appreciation of my blog. I so look forward to reading yours each day that it is an honor for you to read mine.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Blue, I found your blog through Katherine's "Lessons from the Monk I Married" blog, and I'm so glad I did!

    Your work with music sounds so interesting and inspiring! You must touch many lives with the music that you bring to them and the connections that you help them make with each other and with you. I'm glad that it is a blessing to you, too.

    I love music. I play the piano, though I don't take the time for it as I should. When I do, it takes me away to a place where I feel free and happy.

    I look forward to reading more of your posts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tina,

      Thank you for stopping by and for your thoughtful comment! I love to hear from others. I absolutely love the piano and I had one for awhile (electric Fender Rhodes) but I ended up selling it to get a better classical guitar. Do you have any favorite songs and/genres you like to play?
      I am like you when I play my guitar, it takes me to a far away place. Sometimes I have to catch myself from drifting away as I have to pay attention to the people I play for too!

      Also I'm happy to send you my CD! If you send me your address via email, I will send it to you! (blueoconnell@gmail.com)

      Thanks much! Have a great day!

      Blue

      Delete
  4. I'm here via Katherine Jenkins blog "Lessons from the Monk I Married." I"m so glad I stopped by...what an incredible healing and uplifting thing you do! You know that coincidence thing you blogged about? Well, tonight I've been invited to sing with a group of French and English women here in the heart of France. They get together and sing...just because they love to make music. I've been a little hesitant...It's been years since I sang and then it was only in the church choir, but after reading your posts, I'm convinced I need to do this playful thing. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Evelyn,

      Welcome to my little corner on the web! I am glad to have you here and thank you for your kind words! That is interesting indeed about the coincidence of your finding my blog all about singing with others in light of your current situation about singing. I encounter a lot of people who are shy about singing but I remind them that singing in a group is part of our heritage. We sang in school and on bus trips and never cared about how we sounded. It is not about "performance" but sharing good times together and creating new memories with old songs that are soundtracks from our lives.

      Also I'm happy to send you my CD! If you send me your address via email, I will send it to you! (blueoconnell@gmail.com)

      Thanks again and have a great day!

      Blue

      Delete
  5. Choose the Sky is a beautiful song. I added it to my post. Thanks for sharing it. I am so happy to find you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine wrote about you on her latest blog post so I wanted to come over here and visit your blog. I can see why she was so touched - you have a very beautiful blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Optimistic one,

      Thank you very much for stopping by and reading! I sure do appreciate it!
      Also I am doing a CD giveaway if you are interested, send me your address to:
      blueoconnell@gmail.com

      Have a great day!

      Blue

      Delete
  7. Your blog is very inspiring (found it from Katherine's blog). Also your song is beautiful. What a wonderful gift you give the world. Peace and Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and for your kind words about my song. It is gratifying to see others appreciation.
      Peace & love to you too!

      Delete