Saturday, February 9, 2013

Music flowing in unexpected spaces


Yesterday I played my guitar in the lobby at the gym where I work out. (acac) It's funny because I never would have thought I would see a day where I go to a gym regularly.  I love being outdoors and always took long walks for my exercise. But as I get older, it becomes even more important to me to maintain my strength, flexibility, endurance.

I have come to love my daily work outs as a time doing something physical something that brings "flow" experience.  Much research has been done about flow experience which is described as those moments when you are completely and totally absorbed in an activity. As such, everything else is forgotten. You have total concentration and nothing else matters. You are no longer aware of what is going on around you. The rest of the world is forgotten. You know the feeling, right? Some get there by meditation, others do yoga, maybe you do some art or write or you experience this in nature. I play music to get there too. Check out the article "Flow experience - A Key to Happiness."

At any rate, I sat in the lobby at the gym playing guitar for 2 hrs. It was great to see all of the people's expressions of being pleasantly surprised. Many commented, "how wonderful", "that is very nice", "sounds lovely". Some people sat next to me and read the paper and relaxed as I played on. Do you ever like to spend time in silence with someone else? Both of you deeply absorbed by your own activity and sharing this moment you feel connected without words.




No comments:

Post a Comment