Monday, October 14, 2013

Celebration of the Natural World


Yesterday I participated in a wonderful program at the Ivy Creek Foundation. I was joined by  members of the Live Poets Society in a program blending music, poetry, art and photography in a celebration of the natural world.

I played some of my own compositions like, "Choose the Sky", "Once I was the Wind," "Promise of Spring", "For the Lily Grows",  " Gosling, ""Owl's Dream".  Alternating with me, poets would read some of their original poems or read from their favorites such as Mary Oliver and Rumi. Pictured above is poet Flora Lark Baily who read a poem she wrote on her painting shown with her.

I even led a short sing along with some nature themed songs like, "Down by the Riverside", "Blue Moon", "Be Kind to your Web Footed Friends."

It was a lot of fun and also very inspiring. This past year has been difficult to me living next door to a place that was deforested with a new housing development going up. It has been a source of great anguish but also creativity. Yesterday I was happy to be feeling like there is something positive I can do instead of just complaining or being angry about the loss of natural beauty.  I want to continue to look for the positive in this situation as much as I can.

Where do you go for your natural fix? Do you live near a park or a forest or water?

No comments:

Post a Comment