Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What would Julia Child do?


Recently I saw a great quote:

“The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude.” ― Julia Child 

I feel this is also true with me and my work in music. Most of the times things go well but I do have to be "out there".  And for someone who struggles with being very introverted and overcoming shyness, this can be a challenge at times.

So most of the time when I write to you, things go smoothly. Well, today was not one of those days. Today, whatever could go wrong did. 

I went to Charlottesville High School to do some music with a group of ESOL (English is second language). I had a powerpoint slideshow on a jump drive with lyrics to songs they could sing along with. 

It turns out the computer had an old version of Powerpoint and could not open my file.  So I had to do the songs without showing them the lyrics, which meant most people could not sing along. Then when I went to show a video "Playing for Change" --the sound was not working. It was just one of those days. Pictured above is the video....

To top it off, I was singing for a group in a big gymnasium and I don't think I could be heard very well. Also I was wearing and FM system which was connected to a boy's hearing aid devices so he could hear me well and the mic kept falling off.

We all made the best of it and some days are just that way. 

I read about a bad day from someone else recently (you know who you are) and so she inspired me to write this too. It was not a "bad" day.. but challenging. That's ok though. Something to laugh about one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment