Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Nature's music


Tonight I was feeling a bit lazy and wanted to get back to my book I am reading --which by the way is a great one by Tracy Chevalier, "The Last Runaway"But I have made a promise to myself to make time to be outside each day.  For years I worked inside a windowless office and when I left that job, I decided not one day would pass where I would not bask in the beauty around me in nature.

So I went for a walk to the park nearby and was treated to such a beautiful sky. The colors were exquisite. I saw some geese above and was delighted to get them in a picture above. I try to think of what the musical equivalent would be? A Beethoven symphony perhaps?  Something bold and dramatic and life affirming.

When I walk I take in the smells of the turning leaves. I love the sound of the leaves crunching under my feet. I listen for the sounds of the daylight fading and people settling in for the night. Dogs being walked after supper, birds perching on the wires and branches.

It's the sound of peace, beauty, dreams, hope.  We're living in some pretty crazy times politically and all one needs to do is turn on the news for a dose of negativity.

Still beauty awaits us, step outside. What is outside your door? What is your neighborhood like?

Here's a photo of a sunset in my corner of the world:


1 comment: