Wednesday, October 2, 2013

TEDx Charlottesville Open Mic


Monday night I was fortunate to participate in an exciting event. TEDx Charlottesville Open Mic.  I was one of 29 contestants who presented a 2 minute speech on the theme of "The Difference that Makes a Difference."

It was a wonderful evening of shared stories and varied takes on this subject. My speech was titled "C.A.R.E. Packages" which were glimpses of the 11th Hour from my work as a therapeutic musician at UVA hospital. In my 9 years of working there, I have seen so many shining examples of people who care and giving with kindness.  Many times when I tell people I work at a hospital, they say"Isn't that depressing being around sick people all the time?" They picture smelly rooms and tired nurses, negligent accidents that result in more illness.  This also happens at a hospital but in my years of experience, I have seen more good things than bad.

For me the best part of the evening came when I found my dear friends in the audience who came to see and support me.  Pictured above with me from left to right are Kate, Christine and Barbara with whom I have known for 25 years now! We have seen each other through many things. We have shared our deepest sorrows as well as our small or great triumphs and celebrations.

Behind every person who succeeds in realizing a dream are many friends and people who have supported them. I certainly would not be where I am today if it were not for my friends. Thank you all of you! You know who you are.


2 comments:

  1. How exciting for you!! and to be supported by your dear friends is just icing on the cake. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evelyn ,

      Yes I am blessed with very good friends! It does not get much better than that, does it?

      Delete