Sunday, October 27, 2013

Dorian Dreams

I am enjoying my studies in an online jazz improvisation class. This week our assignment is to demonstrate proficiency in playing 6 scales.  They are not scales I have ever tried to play before but scales important to jazz improvisation. Here is the list:

A Lydian flat7
C Locrian
F7 Altered
D Dorian
B Lydian
Eb Aeolian


Each scale has a mood, color, texture and I like how playing them stretches me beyond where I've been before musically.  One of my favorite improv recordings I've done so far is that of D Dorian mode. I used a back track found on the internet that is more rock oriented. It has a darker mood but reminds me of my days as a teenager when I was really into rock music. People often think of me as a folkie and that is a fitting description. But my roots are with old bands like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath. I think if you listen to this improv I do, you will hear those influences.


If i had to describe the mood in a visual, it would be the night sky with its wild starkness and haunting presence. 
Here's the link and enjoy!


https://soundcloud.com/blue-oconnell/d-dorian-improv-1

No comments:

Post a Comment