Thursday, October 10, 2013

Memories


Someone once told me that when we get older, all we have left are memories. When our bodies start to fail us and we are unable to do things that used to be easy for us, we are limited to our imagination.

Singing with elder friends, we make time to talk about memories that come from songs we sing. Last night at the nursing home I play each week, Miss Taylor was telling me about her memories of Halloween. This was sparked from the decorations the home had put up earlier that day. She told me how they used to bob for apples. Now that's a memory I nearly forgot!  I told her I did that too and it was kind of neat to see that some games survived a few generations. She said, "they don't do that anymore." I am not sure if this is true or not but probably is.

We shared more stories and I was very glad for this exchange for Ms. Taylor and I have gotten to be friends over the months since she first came there. When I first met her, she would not talk to me. She would only answer in "yes" or "no" and when I sang, she preferred to listen from down the hallway.

We've come a long way since then and each week we have  a good, long talk. I have a few other friends there too.  Ms. Brown always waits for me to come each Wed. evening and asks for her favorite songs, "I'll Fly Away" and "Sweet By and By".  The glimmer of light in her eyes and smile on her face is precious as she listens. She seems to study each word and take it in. If I forget a word or verse, she corrects me. I know she used to play the piano, so music has been an important part of her life.

I'm glad to know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment