Thursday, November 15, 2012

Christmas is not just one day





Ok I know it is not even Thanksgiving yet but today the group I sang with wanted to sing Christmas carols.  I was reminded of something an elderly neighbor friend used to say to me, "Christmas is not just one day!"

Today's group is very special to me, they have special needs and are all very unique. What often happens when singing with them is we have several train wrecks and times of confusion. Times when some are singing another song or something else is going on in the room and things get chaotic. It was getting like this and for a moment I had to catch my breath (and turn down my hearing aid :) to get through it.

But then something magical happened and it's these moments that I live for. What happened was at one point I asked the group if anyone wanted to sing a song. Then one girl who is usually very shy (at least when I am around) said, "I do!" and she jumped out of her chair and walked to the front of the room and started singing, "Jingle Bells".  After that, several of them came to the front of the room and we featured them as a soloist who led a Christmas song.

This is why I love Christmas. It brings out such joy to these people. They are already talking about Santa coming to town and our party we will have in a few weeks.  It really made my day to see them so happy and to sing with them.

When we were done singing one of them said, "I love you". Another walked me to the door and before I could leave she said, " Wait, I have to do something to you" and reached out and hugged me. My old neighbor was right, Christmas is not just one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment