Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Where words fail...


Music reaches in. Today's experiences at the hospital were so uplifting. I started out in the Cardiac Transition Unit (CTU) and was introduced to a man who teaches guitar. He stood behind me for awhile and listened. I play in the hallways there so that as many patients as possible hear the music. He was very appreciative!

Then I had a request to go play for a young man who has a guitar in his room. The nurse thought he'd appreciate me playing for him. When I first entered the room, he seemed very down and withdrawn.  Then I got out my guitar and played for him the piece that inspired me to start playing the guitar which is Classical Gas.  It evolved into him and I jamming which was a lot of fun! I asked him what chords he'd like for me to play and he showed me a few of his favorite progressions and he played a lead to my chords. In all the years I've been playing at the hospital, this was a first time doing something like this.

By the time I left, the color in his face had come back and he was smiling and in good spirits. We didn't talk much but as I said.. when words fail....


1 comment: