Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Just another day






I'm enjoying the holiday spirit already in the air.  I especially love the decorations and lights. I have been polishing up my Christmas songs. I am very pleased that I decided to not go away for Christmas and instead, I will be playing at some nursing homes on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. One of them put on her calendar, "Blue Christmas" --ha ha. Yes, I know that song and I play it on my dulcimer.

Tonight I was playing at another nursing home and encountered a daughter of one of the residents. I said something about being happy for it being the holiday season and she said about Christmas, "it's just another day!" and walked away.   I said we should try to feel this way all the time, not just on one day.  And she replied, "it's still just the same day!"

But I don't feel that way. Look at the picture above and what you cant' see are all the names of the residents on the stockings. Some of them will not even know their own name is up there but that is what the staff does at these places.

Some nursing homes I believe the staff buy things for the residents out of their own money.  This is what I see in my work. It makes me feel that Christmas is not just another day, but an attitude, a spirit to cultivate. I am getting there, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment