Monday, November 26, 2012

Sweetest are shortest





Have you ever noticed that the sweetest and prettiest songs are the shortest? Songs like, "Let me Call you Sweetheart" for instance.  On the other hand, the funny songs like 'Clementine" go on and on.  I never thought about it before but today when I was singing at Gordon House I noticed this and mentioned it. 

I loved singing with the group (seniors) today.   First we sang old songs we learned in school, "Oh Susana", "I've Been Workin' on the Railroad", "Down by the Riverside" and then we did some songs from old movies, "Side by Side",  "Cheek to Cheek", we even did a few old hymns. But no songs went over better than the patriotic ones.

We ended our session with, "God Bless America" and one gentleman stood up and most of the others had their hand on their  heart as we sang.  Goosebumps! They make me feel the importance of how these songs bring us together.

After we finished, I was treated to several hugs, handshakes and one woman came back after shaking my hand and kissed me on the cheek.

Who knew that such simple songs could bring so much love and hope?

1 comment: