Saturday, April 27, 2013

Heartbeat rhythm & entrainment



I work at a hospital as many of you know and use music in a scientific way.  Many people see me in the hallways with my guitar at the hospital and think I am there to entertain people or cheer them up.  But actually, what I do is almost opposite of entertain them.

I work with a principle called, "Entrainment" which is the synchronization of organisms to an external rhythm. A good example of this is playing for ICU patients in critical condition. I can observe their vital stats and HR and using entrainment, I can work to bring their heart rate down and stabilize their pulse.    The body has an automatic mechanism that synchs you up with strong, external rhythms, pulses or beats and working with this phenomena I  play a piece of music (instrumental guitar)  between 50-70bpm which is the heart at rest. Over a period of 20-30 mins, the patient begins to "entrain" with this slower rhythm and in most cases they fall asleep.  

I worked today in the STIBU (surgical traum& burn unit) ICU, and worked to bring the heart rates down. It is so gratifying to play for a patient who is anxious and see them fall into a deep, restful sleep. 

Today I played for a man whose heart rate was 106 and I stayed until it came town to 101. It is not a big difference but still, I saw him go from being wide awake and anxious to sleeping deeply and  peacefully. The most dramatic difference I've seen was a heart rate going from 130 to 90 It is work I love to do.


2 comments:

  1. Very interesting! This is a phenomena I've noticed even in myself. Slower, rhythmic music is relaxing; faster, upbeat music energizes me. I think there is also something about how guitar strings resonate that is very calming, even more so than other stringed instruments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evelyn,

    Yes that is true! Also at times my work requires me to play uplifting and stimulating music (like with elderly). Sometimes a patient gets the good news they are going home that day and that is cause for uplifting music. Or sometimes for a medical reason (blood circulation, respiratory issues, etc) they need to be sitting up in a chair and I will play something upbeat for them. It is a great job!

    ReplyDelete