Monday, April 8, 2013

When work is a refuge


People often say to me things like, "You are so nice for doing the work that you do!" Some people see it as my helping others but what they don't understand is how much it helps me too. Today I had a headache and was tired and unmotivated to do much.  I was looking so forward scenic drive out to a nearby town where I would be playing for some seniors. It is a huge place and the interior looks like a southern palace (see photo above).

So much was I looking forward to the quiet drive (and to get away from the loud construction noise in my yard) that I arrived about 30 mins early. I sat outside on the bench until a nice young woman approached and said, "Are you Blue?"   She led me to the room where I'd be singing and I felt my headache melt away. I was enjoying the conversations with the folks who arrived until the rest of the group came.

Some days I feel most alive and vibrant when I do this work. I feel a sense of purpose and meaning and connection. I enjoy seeing the reactions on new faces of songs I sing and it's always great when they sing along and enjoy themselves.

I was struck by an encounter I had with one woman who approached me on my way out. She said she was learning to play jazz on the piano. She said she was 99 years old!  It's never too late, is it.

Thank you for having me today!

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you have a job you enjoy so much! Those are few and far between for a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Evelyn and I spent years working in an office in a room by myself at a computer. I decided there was something so wrong with that picture! I was not meant to be shut away all day. 3 years ago, I left that job and I'm doing music full time. It comes with it other challenges, but I welcome this over the other life I left behind!

    ReplyDelete