Saturday, April 13, 2013

Well, that was interesting....


Last night was a gig in Roanoke at the Third Street Coffehouse (as you can see from the photo :).
I'd say that my gigs in coffehouses and cafes are the most challenging for me because it is not always easy to  please an audience.  As an artist, I try to strike a balance of presenting music I feel people will like but I also want to maintain my integrity as an artist and do what is true to my heart.

Last night's set started off with high energy and enthusiasm in the air. I am not sure what happened  but somewhere along the line, the mood changed and people started leaving.

It could have been the drunk guy who came in late and started heckling. I didn't understand what he was saying (mostly song requests) but it definitely changed the mood and within 15 minutes or so, the rest of the audience left. I didn't want to stay and sing for just two people (my ride home and the drunk man), so I ended my set early and called it a night.

I left feeling confused by the whole thing. When things like this happen, I try to see if there is an overall message telling me to take a different route with my music. I have to admit that I enjoy playing in therapeutic settings more than as an "entertainer" (for reasons stated above).

On the long drive home (100+ miles), I thought a lot about it and decided that the fact that doing music full time is full of unpredictable experiences is largely why I love it so much. It's not often something negative happens-but it's no different from a frustrating day at the office.
 Even so, I sill love my work --even the down times are an opportunity to learn from.

What do you do when things take a negative turn at work?


No comments:

Post a Comment