Friday, February 14, 2014

A Valentine to Remember

Today is Valentine's Day but I nearly forgot about it. (have two cats for my Valentines :) But what I did know is that I had a gig at a nursing home today and I really wanted to get myself there. Since we got 16 inches of snow yesterday, I  was not sure if I would make it.   But I so much wanted to go and sing with my friends at the nursing home (being doing this one over 7 yrs now) that I asked a neighbor to help dig me out.

I was glad I made it there.   There was a time I would have loved nothing more than to be snowed in and not have to go to work. But it so happens I love my work and prefer to be there than snowed in.

So, one thing that happened was that I forgot my capo for my guitar. Those of you who don't play guitar, I will explain. The capo allows me to change the key I sing a song in.   For various reasons, some days I can sing higher with ease than other days.    It was my "worst fear" as I have always been paranoid to the point where once I pulled over in a gas station on the way to double check if I had my capo. Anyway.. no capo and it went just fine to my surprise. In fact, early on I decided it would be a fun challenge to see all I could do without having that as a crutch.

We were singing along when a few young women came in the room and walked up to each resident and gave them a homemade Valentine.  It sure made them smile and I am not sure if some of them even knew it was Valentine's Day as the room was not decorated. After they had their Valentines' I sang, "Love me Tender" by Elvis and "Let me Call You Sweetheart", "As Time Goes By".
Now that was a nice Valentine's Day for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment