Thursday, February 20, 2014

Here Comes the Sun

"Here Comes the Sun and I say, it's alright" - Beatles

I am sure you all know this song. It's one I have been singing a lot the last few days. Yesterday was a day that felt like spring was in the air. With the sun shining and temperature in the mid 60s. 

"Little darling, it's been a long, cold lonely winter..." la la yeah --come spring!

 I've had quite a few musical visits this past week so far.  Starting with the hospital, I was sent to a room with a patient who was said to be very withdrawn. In fact I had played for him before and noticed he was non verbal and communicated by nodding yes or no. He seemed a little down, so I talked to him for awhile to see if there was anything that would inspire a response from him. Finally, I asked him if he had animals and he smiled. I named some animals, "horses?" (nodding yes, holding up 2 fingers), "dogs? " (nodding yes, 2 fingers again). I said they must really miss him.  Next I played a wide range of music to get a feel for what he would like.  I played some Gospel, Spirituals, Beatles, old folk songs. He tapped his foot and a couple of times he tried to speak. I am not sure what prevented him from speaking but I thought it was a good sign he was responding to me.  I told him I'd come back to see him again though I hoped he would be able to go home soon.

Yesterday  I went to two group homes where some folks are allowed to go outside to smoke. Since it was nice out, I brought my guitar outside and sang. One friend there plays harmonica and she played along with me on "This Little Light of Mine."  She only has the use of one side of her body and she struggled some to get her harmonica out of her purse. Sometimes it's hard for me to stand by and not offer help but I already know her well enough to know that she would say no if I asked. It was apparently worth the effort as we played and laughed together.

Then last night I went to another nursing home and everyone seemed to be in better spirits. What a difference the sunshine makes!

No comments:

Post a Comment