Monday, February 17, 2014

The Beatles, Pete, Shirley and Summertime

Today was such fun singing with a group of people who are in my age group.  It's great because we all grew up with the same songs, TV shows, movies, etc.  We had a good time flowing from one tribute to the next starting with celebrating the Beatles' 50th anniversary of coming to the U.S.

Our song selection started with "Yellow Submarine," "With a Little Help from My Friends," "Hey Jude", "Let it Be," "I Will," "Here Comes the Sun",  "Imagine." We could sing all day for months and still not sing all the Beatles songs.

Then we talked about the passing of the great Pete Seeger and sang, "If I Had a Hammer". I told them how I wrote Pete a letter and he wrote me back! Tina told how she saw Pete and Arlo Guthrie years ago together at Wolf Trap. Those who love folk music have their won Pete Seeger stories.

Next we paid a tribute to dear Shirley Temple by singing, "Polly Wolly Doodle," and "Goodship Lollipop." I loved her movies because she had friends of all different ages. Most of them grown ups. She traveled all around the world and she had such a positive outlook on life in most of her films.

We finished up our musical hour by singing songs about summer and sunshine to  help us to cope with this very cold and long winter. "California Dreamin'," "Summertime," "You Are My Sunshine" and others were among some of the songs we shared.

Such an example of how music brings back memories and I enjoyed sharing memories with others today and bonding with some of the songs that were part of the soundtrack of growing up.

Do you like the Beatles? what's your favorite song of theirs?

No comments:

Post a Comment