Sunday, February 23, 2014

Lullabies for babies and elders

Today I played for newborn babies in ICU and their frazzled parents and staff. It is always a treat to be there because everyone appreciates the music so much.  Today I sat near where one father was dozing off in a La-Z-Boy chair while his wife read quietly by the baby's incubator.  A nurse was feeding another baby as I played soft lullabies and improvised melodies suitable for resting and comfort.

Last night I played for a group of elders with dementia. It's one of my favorite nursing homes and I always look forward to being there. One reason is a woman named Ms. Rose.  Every time I come there, she leaps out of her chair and comes over to hug me saying, "Hi Darlin'!"   She always says the sweetest things to me, "You are the best! If you are ever in trouble, you can come to me."  I mentioned something about Rose to another staff member and she smiled and said, "I've never heard her say a bad thing about anybody.  She makes you feel like a million dollars."  And so I know this is just the way she is and not so much about me but even so, she does make me feel like a million dollars. It makes me think of how just being kind, giving a hug, saying something nice can make someone's day. We never really know what kind of battle they are fighting inside or what goes on in their lives. And Ms. Rose does not know that I have even put a post it on my mirror with the name Rose on it to remind myself of how I am surrounded by such good people who appreciate me.

 I feel pretty lucky to have this work and to get to know so many kind people.

No comments:

Post a Comment