Monday, February 10, 2014

Preparing and waiting in a moments' slience


I have been working on a lot of projects lately and very excited about them. I was given the high honor of being asked to play at Eric Francis', astrologer of Planet Waves birthday bash in Kingston, NY.  We "met" (via email) when I provided music for his annual astrology readings project last year called LISTEN.  I have been reading his political/astrology newsletter since the late 1990s.   His birthday is March 8th and I'll be meeting him in person for the first time. I am excited! 

That is something that I love about music. For me it has brought me to places I never thought I'd see and I've met so many people from playing music. Kurt Vonnegut has a great quote that says something like, "Go into the arts, it's not a way to make a living but a way to make an interesting life." Yes.

Also as an Artist-in-Residence at Albemarle County Schools, I've been asked to do a school program teaching about Famous Americans through songs and stories later this month. I have chosen so far; Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, Odetta, Louis Armstrong, Amelia Earhart, Harriet Tubman, Einstein, and more. This is why I love folk music by the way. For what the songs teach. Songs about freedom, equality, inspirational leadership, everyday heroes.

Today though I was slowed down by a minor injury which means I had to take a break from practicing my instruments. I did watch all the videos for my online "Music of the Beatles" course. I did research my school project. But my drums and guitar remained silent. I so wanted to play but need to rest.

It brings to mind one of my songs about having to wait for things sometimes. It's called: "Let the Music Come".  Enjoy and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment