Thursday, February 6, 2014

Shave & a Haircut- Two Bits


Everyone knows this drum rhythm  --shave and a haircut--two bits. (two bits is an old saying for one quarter).   This musical call has been around for a long time. The earliest known instance of this can be traced back to 1899 in some old ragtime songs. It is used in many comedy routines.

Yesterday I used this in a call and response song with a group of seniors with Alzheimer's. I would first sing the lines from the song and others I made up  and then we all beat out the rhythm on various percussion instruments. Here's how it went:


Shave and a Hair cut – two bits (boom boom da boom boom - dah boom!)
Who was the barber – Tom Mix  (boom boom da boom boom - dah boom!)
What did you sit in –a chair        "     " etc
What did he cut off—your hair

Shave and a hair cut –two bits
I had for breakfast – some grits
When did I have them – to-day
Why did I come here – to play

Shave and a hair cut – two bits
Gonna teach a dog some new tricks
Take him for a  long walk – outside
Don’t let him run away and hide (1st verse)

Drumming is great in a group with dementia and Alzheimer's because it does not require any verbal cues or memory.  We played this game and did some other call and response songs and the group also played with me on some sing along numbers. Drums were my first instrument, so I love incorporating them in musical activities. 
A fun time indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment