Friday, January 24, 2014

Dhaa Dhaa! Experience my tabla


If you are a fan of Kirtan or Indian music, then you likely have heard the tabla drums (pictured above). I studied them in Chicago many years ago (mid 1980s) and really enjoyed it.  My favorite assignment was when my teacher had me record Tintal for a whole length of a cassette tape. (90 mins) He said, "You do this or you are wasting my time!"

Tintal is the most common tal (rhythm) in Indian classical music and here's what the notation looks like:


You can see how there are phonetic syllables written out which is because tabla have the capability of producing some melodic sounds that we say in our head as we play. I will never forget playing this for an hour and a half and how that made me feel to do it. Rhythm can really put you "in the zone" and back then I didn't know anything about altered states of consciousness, although people of Indian and Eastern cultures have long known of the mystical components of music. It was physically a challenge to do it too as my shoulders started to hurt after about 30 minutes but I was determined to complete the assignment without cheating.

I've played tabla off and on through the years but really haven't played in the last 7 years. I had a set of tabla sitting in the case and today I got them out and played my tintal.  Wow, that felt good! Like an old friend coming back to me.

Many years ago back in Chicago I played  guitar like a tambura in a Hindi band. Tambura  is an Indian stringed instrument that plays the drone.  I still remember that night in that hot and crowded room. I think I was the only non-Indian person there. So while the band was tuning up, a man in the audience asked me for a glass of water. I was puzzled by his request but I did as he asked. When I returned with the water, his wife scolded him saying, "She's not a waitress! She's in the band!"  I think he was quite surprised and embarrassed too.

I wonder where my tabla will take me next in my life? Stay tuned... dhaa dhaa dhin dhin ......



No comments:

Post a Comment