Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sound Healing, Singing bowls and my old friends the frequencies


Have you ever experienced the sounds of Tibetan & Crystal singing bowls? It is a powerful experience! Today in my Integrated Therapies class we experimented with these sounds and frequencies. What happens when the bowls are struck, waves of sound fill the room and you can feel these vibrations in your body. We were focusing today on body awareness and how sound affects our bodies.

Do you remember that old TV commercial with Ella Fitzgerald where she sang a high note and shattered a glass? The commercial advertized Memorex cassette tapes (now obsolete!) and the slogan was, "Is it live or is it Memorex?"   Ella was able to sing a note/frequency so powerfully that she shattered a glass! Imagine that the glass is a blockage in a cell in your body (which creates pain), how the sound/pitch/vibration can shatter that blockage? This is what sound healing is all about. There is a lot of scientific research out now about all of this.

What I felt like old friends have come back to me when I closed my eyes and the singing bowls were struck and their sounds filled the room and touched my body. It was like these frequencies were people I once knew and haven't seen for a long time and they have come to visit.  It was such a nurturing feeling.  I said to myself, "Oh hi, welcome back!" It sounds a bit abstract but sound has a way of putting you in a zone that is far removed from the mundane.

Today was the last session in my Integrated Therapies Certification Course I took. We met over a period of 7 months and each session we focused on different modalities such as; GIM (guided imagery to music), mandala, journaling and poetry, clay sculpture, meditation/mind body techniques.
The facilitators are from the Integrative Music Institute in Charlottesville.  If you are local, I encourage you to check out their programs!


2 comments:

  1. Tibetan Singing bowls and Tibetan Himalayan bowls are a very ancient process of healing with sounds. For many diseases it is undoubtedly good. But sound therapy has now become more precise after the researches of many more healing sound frequencies for various diseases.

    ReplyDelete