Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Learning to walk again

Today at the hospital I was playing for some patients who were in isolation. This means that for infection control, people who enter their room have to gown up and wear a mask and gloves.   I can't play guitar inside such rooms because it would expose my guitar (and I can't play with gloves on)  and spread viruses' around. So  I sit in the hallway outside their rooms.

I was sitting in a hall playing my guitar when a man was being helped to walk by a physical therapist. As he approached me,  he suddenly got an expression like he was overwhelmed and I thought he might cry. He shook his head and said to me, "that is so beautiful!" Then he and the physical therapist stood next to me while I played Shenandoah. It occurred to me that he didn't look American born and so this piece would have no meaning to him. But his eyes grew misty and he said again, "it is so beautiful." (yes music is the universal language) He seemed quite overcome with gratitude for the music.

I was struck by the sight of this man struggling to learn to walk again--something I take for granted.   And here I was playing my guitar--something that I don't really take for granted but something that has become second nature to me.  Wow life is amazing, isn't it? All the things we can do if we just take the time to really take it all in and notice.

Do you ever have those kinds of experiences where you are suddenly overcome by a feeling that life is a miracle?  Maybe a beautiful sunset does this. Or the laughter of a child. A smile from a stranger.
Today I was grateful all over again for the work I love to do.





No comments:

Post a Comment