Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Incomplete Folksinger


The world has lost one of the greatest heroes of all time: Pete Seeger. I was stunned and saddened today when I read that he had passed away last night. I remember my senior year of high school when got really into folk music. I began taking lessons at The Old Town School of Folk Music in Evanston, IL. I loved it so much I got a part time job working there on the weekends. I photo copied music, answered the phone and got to hang out with some of the teachers--one of them included Steve Goodman.

One of the things that inspired me most to pursue folk music was reading the book The Incomplete Folksinger by Pete Seeger. It was newly published (1977) and I remember being so swept away by it that I wrote Pete a letter telling him how much I loved the book. About 6 months later I got handmade card in the mail, thanking me for my letter. At first I didn't understand who it was from. It written with fountain pen ink was signed "Pete" with a drawing of a banjo. I remember saying outloud, "Pete". Then it hit me! Wow! A letter from Pete Seeger and I ran all the way back to the office where I worked as a receptionist to tell my coworker friends. Unfortunately, none of them had ever heard of him. One of them asked, 'Is he Bob Seger's brother?" Sigh.  Even so, my enthusiasm inspired a coworker to come to the concert with me to see Pete and Peter, Paul and Mary that following month. (and she loved it)

Sometimes I  people laugh at me for singing old songs all the time.  There are some people who feel that if it is not the newest and trendiest, cool and popular artist or song then it has no value. But here is a quote from Pete Seeger that explains where I am coming from and why I still love to lead group sing-alongs:

“Once upon a time, wasn’t singing a part of everyday life, as much as talking, physical exercise, and religion? Our distant ancestors, wherever they were in the world, sang while pounding grain and paddling canoes, or walking long journeys. Can we begin to make our lives, once more, all about peace? Finding the right song and singing it over and over is a great way to start.

And when one person taps out a beat while another leads into the melody, or when three people discover a new harmony they never knew existed, or a crowd joins in on a chorus as though to raise the ceiling a few feet higher, then they also know there is hope for the world.”
-- Pete Seeger – American Masters, PBS – broadcast June 13, 2010

A great man indeed. It is my hope that in his death, his work will regain more recognition and understanding among those who never "got"  what folk music is about.


No comments:

Post a Comment