Saturday, January 11, 2014

VSA Art Show


The VSA Art Show is one of my favorite events of the year. VSA (very special arts) is an organization I work with that promotes experiences in the arts for people with disabilities. I lead sing alongs with several groups per month and as  a result I have gotten to know many gifted and inspiring people.

The evening got off to a friendly note when I walked in carrying my guitar and a woman came running  up to give me a big hug. "We miss you when you aren't there!"  I was a little caught off guard because while she looked familiar to me, I could not place which group I knew her from. I said, "ah... which place is that?" She laughed and told me JABA. That's a place that has a very big group (over 30) and I'm not there as regularly. Anyway, what a nice way to be greeted!

I've been part of VSA Arts for over 8 years now and so it was wonderful to see all my friends beaming with pride with their artwork showcased on the walls at the MLK Performing Arts Center. Even the local TV station came and a few were interviewed! See this link for that.
The event was very well attended (well over 100 people) in spite of the rain and cold. I feel so lucky to be part of this community.

I am pictured above with my friend Carol as I hold up her artwork in the new VSA Arts Calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment