Tuesday, January 21, 2014

MLK, civil rights songs and beyond

Yesterday was Martin Luther King, Jr day and so I celebrated by singing songs from the civil rights movement with one of my groups. Some of the songs were: "We Shall Overcome, " "If I had a Hammer," "Imagine,"What's going on," "People Get Ready."  I grew up during this tumultuous time though I was pretty young to understand the everything that was going on politically. Still, it was a good time for music.

What I loved about our sing along yesterday was,  like free association, one song led to another and not all of them were serious songs. Somehow we landed onto the Flintstones and Addams Family theme songs. Motown and the Monkees too. And "Happy Together" by the Turtles was a big hit.

We shared stories from our childhoods when we used to sing these songs. Do you remember learning songs in school? One of the things I love about what I do is I feel I am preserving a part of our heritage. Group singing has always been a big part of life and  many public schools have eliminated teaching the old songs. They have value and purpose in our lives and I never grow tired of singing them.

Lastly, I've been sharing with you some of the songs I'm working on for my weddings. Here is one of my favorite songs, "Moon River." I do hope you enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment