Monday, January 13, 2014

Name that tune


Today I was out in Stanardsville in Greene county at a really nice place that has a day center for seniors. This job was one I did for the Alzheimer's Association in Cville.  This agency requires that my music sessions are interactive and engage the participants. So this is a run down of what we did--it was fun!

First we played a game of "Name that Tune" and I'd sing the first 4 notes of a well known song. ("You Are My Sunshine", "When the Saints Go Marching In". etc) After the song is guessed correctly, we sang it together.

Then I handed out my percussion instruments and they played along with me on some upbeat songs like, "This Little Light of Mine", "Down by the Riverside".

Next I showed them my Native American flute and got them playing a heartbeat rhythm on the drums as I played a solo on my flute. After that we had a free flowing drum circle and a game of "call and response" led by me.

It is great fun to watch the people go from nodding off to smiling and laughing and being involved. Music is so inclusive and I thought the drumming especially went over well. Sometimes people with Alzheimer's do better with non-verbal activities and drumming is a great way to reach them.

I love to get people moving and laughing and singing. I also love to think up new games and things we can do.

Have you played, "Name that Tune" lately?  Do you remember that TV show from the 50s?  We used to watch the reruns when I was a child. Can you name this tune, "da-da -da daaaaa"?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment